Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Jerk!

WOD:
1 rep max Jerks
Top load; 95, failed at 110 twice
This was a 20#PR!!! See first attempt here:
http://erinsadventures21.blogspot.com/2009/08/jerky-jerks.html

I wanted to attack tonight's WOD with energy and really nail the form. Liz and Christy were stacking on the weights fast and in round one, I failed miserably. I went to a different bar to work the 45 bar for form. Added 20 lbs and Andrea saw I was really struggling with the whole get under the bar, hip action, etc. It was UGLY. I said, 'help me'. She asked if I want to know the secret about doing the Jerk. I said YES!

I won't give it away, but lets just say it involved a frenzy of strict press and push press, then viola`. There came the jerk! Super moto from Andrea and Chris. All it took was someone screaming at me! :) Once I got that I did it at 85#, then hit a super solid 95#. And I split it totally naturally without thinking about it. Elbows locked out, core tight. I made the bar weightless. What a feeling. Now to just figure out how to do it again.

I wanted to be ambitous so I threw on 15 more pounds...failed at 110# twice. Stripped to #95 and did one more good one. Oh well, I got my form down and went for it! I will put 100# overhead next time!

2 comments:

Sean said...

Nice work dude! So glad to hear that you're getting the hang of it. You know what? I'm gonna have a milkshake in your honor!

Christine said...

Good stuff... good on Andrea too for getting you to work that progression from Press, Push Press, Push Jerk. Nice!