Thursday, February 18, 2010

Taking the Bad with the Good

After getting all pumped up for a Monday snatch workout then getting shot down when the gym was closed, I was all pumped up for a strong workout on Tuesday morning. I started with a solid 500m row, some stretches, inchworms, etc.  Worked the "pvc" pipe (ok its one of those cheesy weighted bars for the aerobics classes) for awhile on the form.  Finally I picked up the 45lb bar for the first round of 3x snatch.  um...yea.  I snatched it alright, but then I couldn't figure out what to do with it since it was kinda heavy and I couldn't drop it. Crap.  Got it down safely, put it on the floor and started at it.  Could I REALLY have lost all my overhead strength? Could it be? A max of 85lbs down to 45 in 2.5 months? I took a few more attempts, but getting it down safely from the overhead position was a challenge and it kinda hurt.  I gave up.  Instead I took the bar and did 2 sets of 10 OHS.  This was not easy.  My core stability is weak and my shoulders are so damn tight and sore getting it locked out is just plain painful.  A massage is necessary and soon.  I wanted to cry when I left the gym.  I miss the box so much.  I miss working out with Chip and it will likely be 8-12 months before he can even think of crossfitting again.  Self-moto for this kind of thing is a huge challenge.

I took yesterday off because I felt like I got hit by a mack truck after getting lost driving home from the frankfurt airport. damn GPS.

I regrouped and headed back to the gym this morning to hit the following:
6 Rounds
10 pullups
20 pushups
30 squats

This was going to be a tough one.  I haven't not done more than five pullups since the 4th of December, my last day in the box when I did Murph, but I was determined to do it.  I brought my tape for my hands and spend 5 minutes putting on my armour.  Did a nice solid warmup, set the clock, and got busy.  The first round of 10 was slow and awkward, but each round got easier and easier.  Soon I was consistently stringing 3-4 together.  Now if I was just on a real bar...and working at a box I just might be a pullup machine by now! This was a huge confidence boost that all the endless pushups and burpees I have been doing have not been for a loss.  The pushups were mostly regular, but that last 2 rounds I dropped to do 10 on my knees, which is dumb because I know I can do it, I just don't have the intensity/moto to do it.   I finished up in just under 30 minutes and escaped with only a quarter sized piece of skin missing from my palm.  :)  Photo of the bar I used....I used the lower grips.


Oh and in the middle of all of this, one of the gym workers came over to me and asked me to compete in the "Fittest Female" competition being held at the gym this week.  I said thanks, but no thanks....bench press and bicep curls just aren't my thing.

after seeing all the video footage of this weeks deadlift session at CFOT that is what I plan to hit tomorrow!  My little area to do any sort of oly lifts...and my squat rack. 

3 comments:

Christine said...

Good stuff Erin. That 6 rounds of 10, 20, 30 coming off a week out of the gym with all the snow was brutal. I thought I would never finish the push ups. But there is always tomorrow... and it was DL's. Sunshine does come.

Look forward to hearing what you lift. I've been a deadbeat reading blogs, so sorry if I'm out of touch.

Tamara said...

What a compliment! I know you are missing your CF buddies back here, but clearly you are quietly developing a rep in that gym if they see you in there busting your a$$ on your own. That IS motivating to others, and hopefully you can take some from it too. Keep it up, E. You are a rockstar!

c wiss said...

Hola, just wanted to drop you a comment to let you know I've been reading for a couple weeks now. You are doing awesome on your own, it sucks to be without a box. And you should totally have signed up for Fittest Female, love it! :)

PS - I'm a military wife too :)