Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Why oh Why and Getting Creative

Why does life around the holidays always sneak up on you?  I was bound and determined not to let that happen this year, but it did.  This week has been rough trying to get settled in the house, getting drivers license, waiting for movers, waiting for more movers, trips to the Targets of Schweinfurt.  Then Chip decided to almost pass out several times on Tuesday morning--he was dizzy, feelings of vertigo, body not cooperating.  He had been complaining of a headache the night before, but didn't really think anything of it.

Off to the E.R. we go.  Not the one on the Army base....oh no.  We don't have one of those here.  Bis die Krankenhaus.  The German hospital.  He had fallen several times skiing and links this injury to a fall last Thursday while skiing on the glacier and what he thought was a bruise on his neck from his helmet. After an MRI, ultrasounds of his neck, etc he was admitted and will be there a total of two days. Poor guy.  He's probably the healthiest guy in the place, but socialized medicine is a different ball game and I won't even go into that discussion. Regardless, he is getting excellent care, and they are making sure all the blood that is supposed to go to his brain is getting there properly.


Needless to say, getting to the gym has not been a priority.  But, since I still read all the CFOT blogs, I felt lazy and fat after reading about all the hard work being done.  Christine's blog talked about a Christmas day WOD.  I did it in the hotel room. 

5 RFT
30 Abmats (yes, the abmat is with us)
20 squats
10 pushups
Time: 7:30

Had a few wardrobe malfunctions that slowed me down. I don't suggest doing WOD's in flannel pj pants and a long sleeve tshirt....  The abs were tough since I seem to have a new appendage around my waist--3 weeks of beer, schnitzel, wurst, bread, cheese, bread, more bread.  Sigh.  

Then, I wanted to do something else....I looked around the room and spied the bathroom.   The toilet and the shower were spaced perfectly to so some L-sit holds.   I did 5 rounds of 15 sec, with a 15 sec rest in between.

Next week it will HOPEFULLY stop raining so I can hit the new trails by the house, and will definitely hit some killer  CF workouts.  I will have a kitchen too so I will get back on track with the eating.

I am not going to get down on myself, I'm going to accept the fact I've done the best I can under the circumstances and all is not lost.  It is just time to move forward and challenge myself to see how mentally Crossfit I am, which takes way more effort than the physical part.

2 comments:

Jason B. said...

My absolute favorite post since you have left the USA: "The toilet and the shower were spaced perfectly to so some L-sit holds." You continue to be my hero...keep it up!

Sean said...

Keep it lady & stay away from all those Carbs (Bier, Brot, Pommes, Frittes, und Brot... und Bier!) There's a reason the Germans are "portly" don't let all your hard work go to waste!